Saturday, September 8, 2007

A new beginning all over again.





After I started this blog, a long time ago I could not find much to write about so it has languished. Now life has changed a bit and I have a lot more to write about.

After my husband retired we decided to "See the USA in your Chevrolet" if you remember that old car add jingle. Well we are beginning to do just that. Only our Chevrolet is a GMC truck and it is hauling a small travel trailer.

Right after we got the new trailer we took two short trips, just to shake out the bugs and learn this RVing thing. The first was with husband's Sister and her husband to Hartwick Pines State Park for a week. The second was just the two of us to a private RV park on Lake Leelanau near the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lake Shore. The picture here is of us in our shady spot at lake Leelanau RV Park. We decided we like this RVing thing. But both of these experiences were at full hook up facilities. I was still not convinced that "Boondoocking" or dry camping was quite my bag. I want my shower in the morning.



The next trip was a summer sojurn which lasted four weeks. The objective was a date in August when we were to pick up a 12 week old Golden Retriever puppy named Duncan. Duncan is to be my husband's new hunting dog. He has not had one since his yellow Lab Rip died many years ago. Rip was his best friend and hunting companion when I met him and we have known one another for 34 years and been married for 32. The trip turned out to be a roaring success. As soon as we got home I wanted to be gone again. That is in the planning, and since I still work another long trip has to wait a while, like - until I retire.


Here is Duncan on the day we picked him up from the trainer who had raised him and given him 4 weeks of head start training.




But that is almost the end of the story of our trip. I should probably begin at the beginning.

The first leg of the trip took us through the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, to avoid Chicago but also to visit relatives in Cooks and Iron River. Once across the Big Mac bridge, the drive along higway US - 2 is always enjoyable. We saw an adult Bald Eagle hovering over the Lake Michigan shore and arrived at our Niece's In-Law's by mid afternoon. They have a lovely home about a mile from Lake Michigan with acreage that is growing back to forest. We fell asleep to the sound of a gentle rain on the aluminum skin of our snug abode.




1 comment:

Josephine- said...

Hi Mom, glad to see you blogging again, keep it coming. :)