Saturday, November 22, 2008

Where did Thanksgiving go?

Even though we have yet to celebrate Thanksgiving, the stores are full of Christmas decorations and music. Last week I tried to do some shopping for Thanksgiving table decorations. All I could find was Christmas fare. Thanksgiving seems to have been completely supplanted by the much more profitable spending of the "Holiday Season". Halloween candy is not out of the stores before the Christmas decorations are for sale in the "garden centers". As the Christmas season approaches we are inundated with commercial signals to buy buy buy, spend spend spend. That is not what Christmas is about. Christ came to give himself. My daughter's Blog expresses her thoughts on the subject very well here.

I admit to getting all hyped for the Christmas Season - too early - I fear it will feel stale by the time Christmas truly arrives. And I am always left feeling a huge let down when the real 12 days of Christmas are ignored by the rest of the world. Maybe I should be relieved that those who celebrate the full 12 days from December 24 to January 6 are left without the hectic commercialization during the true Christmas season.


And just for practice I am embedding the You Tube video from Josephine's web site here too.


No comments: