Thursday, February 21, 2008

Moon

I am so glad Tandaina saw the moon rise last night.

As I drove home from a very good ride on Image, the moon's silver face rose over snow covered fields, surrounded by pink that faded to blue, the shade of which I can not describe but will forever remember . She was framed below by the black lace of bare tree branches and above by the paler blue of a clear winter evening sky. I hurried home to grab my camera and try to capture the beauty of the moment to no avail. Alas the best camera uses the lens of our eye to imprint a memory in our minds.

Did you also see the total eclipse of the full moon at about 10:00? I wonder if the beauty of the moon rise was a foretaste of the mystery of a full eclipse that turns the moon to a ruddy shadow of its usual bright self, but allows a view of Saturn and Regulus the central star of the constellation Leo, which are usually hidden by the moon's brilliance.

No comments: