Sunday, March 2, 2008

10 Commitments For Parents

I have been carrying this little piece of laminated newspaper around in my purse for years. My mother gave it to me. Our children are grown and there is no prospect of grandchildren on the near or even far horizon. so I plan to pass this on to someone who can use it.

In the meantime I am gong to post them here because they are still as important today as they were when my children were young.

1. I will read to my child daily.
2. I will listen to my child read daily.
3. I will help my child start a word collection of at least on un-known word daily.
4. I will take dictation (talk written down) of stories, poems, and sayings my child creates.
5. I will help my child pursue an interest and find five books to read on the topic.
6. I will praise my child for at least one success daily.
7. I will arrange for my child to use the library and visit bookstores to select books independently.
8. I will help find listeners to whom my child can read.
9. I will encourage my child to buy books and educational games.
10. I will listen to my child when s/he talks about the books s/he reads, or about what is happening at school.

No comments: